Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Prep Time : 10 mins
- Cook Time : 1 hrs
- Total Time : 1 hrs 10 mins
This cake is rich, very chocolatey and super moist! It’s based on a mud cake recipe – but with a bit of extra rise so it’s not as dense. This recipe is easy and it’s virtually foolproof – it is VERY forgiving!
- 8.5 oz / 240g dark chocolate, preferably 70% cocoa, broken into pieces (Note 1)
- 1 3/4 cup / 385g caster sugar / superfine sugar (Note 1a)
- 9 oz / 250g / 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups / 312 ml milk (low or full fat)
- 1/4 cup / 63 ml oil (vegetable, canola)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup / 45g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups / 265g plain flour
- 2 tbsp coffee granules, optional
- 1 cup / 250 ml heavy whipping cream (Note 2)
- 8 oz /250g dark melting chocolate chips (US: semi sweet chocolate chips)
Preheat oven to 160C/320F (fan forced / convection) / 180C/350F (no fan) (Note 3). Butter or spray a 22 – 25cm/9 – 10” spring form cake tin and line with parchment / baking paper. (Note 4)
Combine sugar, butter, half the milk and chocolate in a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until the butter and chocolate has melted and sugar is dissolved. Do NOT let it simmer or boil!
Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl. Whisk in oil and remaining milk.
Whisk in eggs in until combined.
Sift cocoa, baking powder, flour and coffee directly into the bowl. Whisk until smooth – some small lumps is ok.
Pour into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface will crack (sometimes badly!) but sill subside when it cools and gets covered with frosting so don’t stress!
Remove sides from the cake pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
Ganache (Note 5)
Place chocolate in a bowl.
Place cream in a saucepan over medium high heat. When it is about to start simmering, remove it – don’t let it come to a boil! Pour cream over the chocolate, shake the bowl to submerge all the chocolate under the cream. Cover bowl with a plate and set aside for 5 minutes.
Stir chocolate with a spoon until smooth. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until thickened to a spreadable consistency like peanut butter.
Spread over the cake – tops and sides. Use a teaspoon in a swirling motion to achieve the textured surface you see in the photos.